Monday, July 16, 2012

I started acting almost 20 years ago, and that was by 'accident'...
Well, actually, out of a challenge among us guys. You know what its like when we guys 'dare' each other to do somethings that we don't normally do.
There was this time when the then TCS (Television Corporation of Singapore) was calling for new talents and faces to go for audition for a new English drama that they had, and they needed plenty of people who would want to take part.
Me and my friends started 'daring' each other to go for it. So we went. None of us had any acting experience, me including. So the audition didn't go too well for us.
Needless to say we were not selected for any role.
After that, I didn't even think about it at all.

The production of that first English drama finally finished, and was telecast. It was called "Masters of the Sea". I wonder how many people now really remember that show.

Like I said, I didn't think about the audition at al after thatl, and forgot totally about it. Until one day, I received a call from the casting department for me to go for a read for a police and thief TV show, called Triple Nine.  Didn't even need for another audition. I couldn't believe it. So I went. My very first TV shoot. It was so exciting. I surprised even myself because I had no formal acting training, no experience at all, and I went through all the shoots without much problem, like a pro. I guess it came naturally for me. I'm not saying everybody can do it naturally, don't get me wrong. Some of my friends who had gone for some form of acting classes still couldn't make it.

Well that was almost twenty years ago. I've come a long way since. Acted for various TV shows, from dramas to sitcoms, to documentaries. I've even done movies, local and international ones,  Commercials and Print Ads.

I've played various characters, from rogues, teachers, professors, doctors, son, father, grandfather, playboy, priest,etc over the years. Exciting times. Never a dull moment when it comes to acting. I love it. Its a chance to be somebody else, do things that I normally would not do in my own real life, go places that I wouldn't go to in my  real life. Its almost like escapism for me from the normal routine of living.
Some of my business associates will go golfing, or play tennis to de-stress. I go acting for it.
It has become a PASSION.

Over the years, I have accumulated plenty of experience and skills, and I feel I ought to share it with others  who wants to get into this community and needed some kind of guidance. So I teamed up with a couple of other actor friends with similar passion, and started coaching and training through our acting workshops. 
Also a PASSION.


Yup. Acting has its advantages also if you're in the business world. It worked very well for me. Even while I was doing some acting work, I had a day job in marketing and sales. One of the advantages I had being an actor and in sales and marketing was whenever I made any cold calls, people recognized me as an actor, and most times, the doors were opened for me. It did help me quite a bit there. No complaints about it. Just loving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment